Tags

A Critical Essay on The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn








Youth Identity Represented in Mark Twain’s the Adventure of Huckleberry Finn







"... all modern American literature comes from one book by Mark Twain called Huckleberry Finn ... There was nothing before. There has been nothing as good since"

Ernest Hemingway
 

A.               Introduction

Literature has always provoked criticism, reflected ideology inside, and often shaped our mind. Many of what have been written tells about conflicts in social that denotes life in reality. The conflicts of the story require the reader to get into deeper space as what the writers’ hope them to do so. Literature has been a cultural medium that depicts characters and illustrate the society based on what happened in a certain society, e.g. Mark Twain’s The Adventure of Huckleberry Finn. 

The novel is set some years before the civil war at the Mississippi River. The Adventure of Huckleberry Finn is designed when slavery was a prominent issue. The content seems to defend American society popular issue on racial equality. But in the novel Huck Finn as a young boy has been through mixed-up conflicts like how he is forced to civilized and taught religion, how he makes up his mind to run away from his abusive father, and how he and Tom Sawyer make a big decision to release a runaway slave named Jim. The central theme is the pursuit of happiness. But it explores many aspects on how youth with their attitude and bravery may change life. This paper will further elaborate how youth identity and rebellion are presented through character of Huck Finn and Tom Sawyer.

B.               Characters in the Story

Huckleberry Finn
Huckleberry “Huck” Finn is the main character in the story. Adopted by the Widow Douglas and her sister Mrs. Watson he has learned enough to be literate. But he finds it boring of civilization as he is kind of boy who is adventurous, naughty, and rebellious. But Huck is naturally kind (to Jim)—although teases him a lot, has big ambition, big friendship with Tom Sawyer. He has been abused by his father who always spends his money and time getting drunk. He runs away and travels down to the Mississippi River on a raft with Jim—gains his status as runaway slave.
  
Tom Sawyer
In The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, Tom is only a minor character who is well-known for his bravery but a bit obsessed and immature. He has been a best pal for Huck Finn. In the almost-end of the story Huck Finn reunites with Tom after his dangerous adventure with Jim. Tom himself has been opposite with the norms of the society he lives in to treat a black as slave. He even hides Jim to avoid people who want to arrest Jim.

C.               Youth Identity Presented by the Characters 

Deviant and Rebellion 
Social phenomenon has evoked way of thinking and lifestyle of the youth. They want to show everyone that even though they walk out of line and out of tradition; they are able to be a useful social by actualizing themselves. They are typically rebellious and break the same boring rules and norms happen every day. Breaking rules may be considered as part of growing up. Huck Finn clearly mentions this situation in the beginning of the story; 

The widow she cried over me, and called me a poor lost lamb, and she called me a lot of other names, too, but she never meant no harm by it. She put me in them new clothes again, and I couldn't do nothing but sweat and sweat, and feel all cramped up. Well, then, the old thing commenced again. The widow rung a bell for supper, and you had to come to time. When you got to the table you couldn't go right to eating, but you had to wait for the widow to tuck down her head and grumble a little over the victuals, though there warn't really anything the matter with them,--that is, nothing only everything was cooked by itself. (Chapter I – 3rd Paragraph) 

This time Huck wants so badly to smoke which is of course denied by the widow. But he smoke behind the widow 

Pretty soon I wanted to smoke, and asked the widow to let me. But she wouldn't. She said it was a mean practice and wasn't clean, and I must try to not do it anymore. (Chapter I – 5th Paragraph) 

I set down again, a-shaking all over, and got out my pipe for a smoke; for the house was all as still as death now, and so the widow wouldn't know.(Chapter I – 9th paragraph) 

Abuse is something we cannot tolerate, in parental influence it can disrupt and impact on kids psychology and mental. Abusive manner and too-much control by parents leads to rebellious children. Huck Finn is tired of treatment he gets from his abusive father. He likes no one, like his father and Miss Watson, stop following him and tell him what to do. In the story after being kidnapped by his father, Huck plans to escape and search for freedom. The situation is best expressed through; 

I took the axe and smashed in the door. I beat it and hacked it considerable a-doing it. I fetched the pig in, and took him back nearly to the table and hacked into his throat with the axe, and laid him down on the ground to bleed; I say ground because it was ground--hard packed, and no boards. Well, next I took an old sack and put a lot of big rocks in it--all I could drag--and I started it from the pig, and dragged it to the door and through the woods down to the river and dumped it in, and down it sunk, out of sight. You could easy see that something had been dragged over the ground. I did wish Tom Sawyer was there; I knowed he would take an interest in this kind of business, and throw in the fancy touches. Nobody could spread himself like Tom Sawyer in such a thing as that. (Chapter 7) 

Self-Reliance

To define their identities, youth have to be themselves. They would find freedom to express themselves without following somebody else’s way of life. It is important for youth to rely on themselves in order to achieve their goals.

Huck Finn manages himself to get away from his father by sailing down to Mississippi River. Along the shore he met Jim and slipped along together with him. There Huck has been through many things like wild storm, wrecked raft by steam boat, separation with Jim, missing the canoe. But he manages himself to hold on as he believes if he can get through it he can make it. He always keeps moving forward. 

We didn't say a word for a good while. There warn't anything to say. We both knowed well enough it was some more work of the rattlesnake-skin; so what was the use to talk about it? It would only look like we was finding fault, and that would be bound to fetch more bad luck--and keep on fetching it, too, till we knowed enough to keep still.(chapter 16 – 3rd paragraph) 

Self-Resistant and Self-Determination

Self-determination among youth is an essential aspect to have because such expression shapes their mind to choose their way of life and decide what is right and what is not. By taking their own decision youth learn to be responsible for what they have done. Huck Finn tries to make decision to keep Jim although it is not White people nature, as he is raised in the society, to treat a slave equally. He resists racism;

I couldn't get that out of my conscience, no how nor no way. It got to troubling me so I couldn't rest; I couldn't stay still in one place. It hadn't ever come home to me before, what this thing was that I was doing. But now it did; and it stayed with me, and scorched me more and more. I tried to make out to myself that I warn't to blame, because I didn't run Jim off from his rightful owner; but it warn't no use,  conscience up and says, every time, "But you knowed he was running for his freedom, and you could a paddled ashore and told somebody." That was so--I couldn't get around that no way. (Chapter 16th – 4th paragraph)

In some cases as Huck best friend Tom has made big decision ever, he plans to set Jim free, get Jim out of cabin where Jim is caged and chained. But when they are escaping Tom should pay the cost. Someone with gun shot him in the leg. It is described when Tom met Huck (when Huck pretends to be Tom and decides to go to town by wagon) 

I says: "All right; but wait a minute. There's one more thing--a thing that NOBODY don't know but me. And that is, there's a nigger here that I'm a- trying to steal out of slavery, and his name is JIM--old Miss Watson's Jim."
 He says:"What! Why, Jim is--" He stopped and went to studying.
I says:"I know what you'll say. You'll say it's dirty, low-down business; but what if it is? I'm low down; and I'm a-going to steal him, and I want you keep mum and not let on. Will you?" His eye lit up, and he says: "I'll HELP you steal him!" (Chapter 33) 

We was all glad as we could be, but Tom was the gladdest of all because he had a bullet in the calf of his leg. When me and Jim heard that we didn't feel so brash as what we did before. It was hurting him considerable, and bleeding; so we laid him in the wigwam and tore up one of the duke's shirts for to bandage him… (Chapter 40 – 4th paragraph)

D.               Conclusion 

In The Adventure Huckleberry Finn there are young identity and rebellion expressed. They are typically proud of being rebellious, breaking rules, travelling in term of self-identification, and searching for freedom. It is story when young generation with conflicted and miserable social condition have made through a lot of things. It also reflects moral and inspiring values that even though they are naughty, rebellious, and deviant they can decide what is right and what is wrong. It is expressed how Huck Finn with Tom Sawyer fight for Jim. They fight against racism.  

This Style of Idea is adapted and inspired by Feri Supriyatin (2011) on "American Youth Rebellion and Identities in the 90s Presented in Skid Row Songs"

0 comments:

A SALAD BOWL

Adapted from American identity slogan "A Salad Bowl" This blog contains various moments that The M-Stylist shares. It's me, M-Stylist -Moments Stylist. Sorry if the name is pretty lame and freak. But I love to be Freak! it's like my middle name *ups

Like all nerd as usual, in this blog I nerdly capture things I love, share my style of mind, post my God-bless Paper, and... lemme figure what's next...

Have Fun Reading Nerds!

The Jakarta Post Breaking News